Each year, Nanticoke Watershed Alliance recruits a Full-time (1,700) or Half-time (900 hours) AmeriCorps Member for the service year. We have filled this position for the 2023-24 service term. If you are interested in applying for this role in the future, please read the position description below for information about this service opportunity, its requirements, and its benefits. Questions? Contact BethWasden@NanticokeRiver.org.
The Nanticoke Watershed Alliance (NWA) works primarily in Sussex County, DE, and in Dorchester and Wicomico Counties in Maryland to conserve the natural, cultural, and recreational resources of the Nanticoke River watershed. Major programs at NWA are the Nanticoke Creekwatchers Volunteer Water Monitoring Program and other water quality monitoring; green infrastructure programs in watershed towns and for private residents; outreach programs that focus on backyard conservation activities geared toward homeowners; recreational paddles and use of waterways; and trash clean-ups.
AmeriCorps Member responsibilities with the Nanticoke Watershed Alliance will include:
- Assisting with the Nanticoke Creekwatchers program (training volunteers, monitoring sites, assisting with sample collection and lab delivery)
- Assisting with residential, municipal, and faith-based organization green infrastructure projects
- Assisting with outreach programs, trash cleanups, and at outreach events in the community
- Driving the #spatchat social media campaign and furthering work undertaken by prior AmeriCorps Members in the Lower Nanticoke to promote oyster gardening and conservation landscaping
- Leading clean-ups in the Nanticoke River watershed
- Valuable experience
- A bi-weekly stipend of $779.00 (Full-time) or $412.00 (Half-time)
- An education award of $6,895 (Full-time) or $3,447.50 (Half-time) for future educational expenses or repayment of student loans – members who are age 55 or older may gift their ed. award to a child or grandchild
- Federal student loan forbearance while in service, with exemption from paying interest accrued during that time
- 8 tuition-free credits at Salisbury University for completion of training course
- Health insurance and child care reimbursement, if eligible
- Access to AmeriCorps Alumni Network
Requirements for applicants include the following:
• Have a strong interest in serving the community
• Be able to relate to diverse populations
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Able to provide copy of either high school diploma, GED, or college transcript
• Have reliable transportation
• Be available to attend the free, AmeriCorps class at SU alternate Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., during the Fall and Spring semesters.
• Must successfully pass a comprehensive Criminal History Check, which includes FBI fingerprinting
• Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
• Applicants DO NOT need to be college students; anyone from the community who fits the above requirements may participate.
This position is offered through a partnership with ShoreCorps, the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University. It is contingent upon federal funding and approval of the AmeriCorps office.