The Highest Tides of the Season Will Occur This Wednesday to Saturday–Help Photograph What This Looks Like In Your Community
Maryland King Tide Photo Initiative
Grab your cameras and head to the shore!!
CoastSmart is asking for your help in photographing the season’s highest high tides, the “King Tides”.
This Wednesday to Saturday, Maryland will experience the highest high tides of the winter. We’re asking residents (or if you’re out in the field in these areas) of tidally-influenced areas along the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers, and the Atlantic coast to go out and take pictures of how these tides look in your community. Pictures of high water with landmarks of homes, roads, bridges, schools, beaches, wetlands, and other infrastructure are especially helpful.
These pictures will be used for educational and outreach materials to increase awareness about the impacts of flooding along Maryland’s shores. Photographing these vulnerable areas are an important step in documenting places that are especially at-risk to storm surge, sea-level rise, and the next Superstorm Sandy.
* Find a convenient location along a shoreline.
* Check NOAA tide predictions for the specific daily high tide closest to that location: tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.shtml?gid=115<http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.shtml?gid=115>
* Record the date, time, and location of each picture.
* Go to www.flickr.com<http://www.flickr.com/> to sign up for a free account, if you don’t already have one. And upload photos to your photostream.
* Join the Maryland King Tides Photo Initiative Group: www.flickr.com/groups/MarylandKingTides<http://www.flickr.com/groups/MarylandKingTides>
* Add your geotagged photos to the Maryland KT group.
For more information about the Maryland King Tides Photo Initiative, including high tides times at specific locations, please visit: http://dnr.state.md.us/coastsmart/king_tide.asp or contact Kate Skaggs, CoastSmart Communities Planner, email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>.