Apply to Be Our 2021-22 AmeriCorps Member
Nanticoke Watershed Alliance is seeking a full-time AmeriCorps member for Service Year 2021-2022 which runs from August 15, 2021 – August 14, 2022. This requires 1700 total hours of service which is approximately 40 hrs/wk.
The Nanticoke Watershed Alliance (NWA) works primarily in Sussex County, DE, and in Dorchester and Wicomico Counties in Maryland to conserve the natural, cultural, and recreational resources of the Nanticoke River watershed. Major programs at NWA are the Nanticoke Creekwatchers Volunteer Water Monitoring Program; SAV monitoring on local waterways; outreach programs that focus on backyard conservation activities geared toward homeowners; recreational paddles and use of waterways; and trash clean-ups.
- Assisting with the Nanticoke Creekwatchers program (training volunteers, monitoring sites, assisting with sample collection and lab delivery and analysis)
- Assisting with residential, municipal, and faith-based organization green infrastructure projects
- Assisting with outreach programs, trash cleanups, and at outreach events in the community
- Have a strong interest in serving the community
- Be able to relate to diverse populations
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to provide copy of either high school diploma, GED, or college transcript
- Have reliable transportation
- Be available to attend the tuition-free, AmeriCorps class at Salisbury University bi-weekly during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Must successfully pass a comprehensive Criminal History Check, which includes FBI fingerprinting
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
- Applicants DO NOT need to be college students, anyone from the community who fits the above requirements may participate.
- Valuable experience
- A bi-weekly stipend of $629.16.
- An education award of $6,345 for future educational expenses or repayment of student loans – members who are age 55 or older may gift their ed. award to a child or grandchild
- Federal student loan forbearance while in service, with exemption from paying interest accrued during that time
- 6 tuition-free credits at Salisbury University for completion of training course
- Health insurance and child care reimbursement, if eligible
- Access to AmeriCorps Alumni Network
This position is offered through a partnership with ShoreCorps, the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University. It is contingent upon federal funding and approval of the AmeriCorps office.
To fill out an application, visit www.salisbury.edu/americorps and click on ‘Become a Member’ and then ‘Fill out an application.’ Please note that you are filling out a general application to become an AmeriCorps member. Please mention that you are interested in serving at Nanticoke Watershed Alliance in the essay section.